I have always hated the gold painted finish on this old mirror I got at Brimfield years ago for about $60. I've been meaning to gold leaf it for a long time, but just haven't had the chance to get around to it. Then this weekend I was just so over the gold. It is such a blah color for my entry with the olive leather settee and the beige leopard rug. The space needed some contrast, so on a whim I decided to paint the mirror black.


While I was looking for the quart of black Benjamin Moore Advance, I saw the chalkboard paint and thought the ultra flat finish could be cool looking, sort of a little like this old Anthropologie iron mirror?



I've said this a million times, but painting mirrors is the easiest project. Just slap on two or three coats, let it dry and then clean up the mirror with a wet rag. The dried paint wipes right off the glass. If you need a little extra help with the edges, a razor works great.



The color is off in these photos and the black is not quite as washed out. I think I really like it in person though.





I need to touch up some places (chalkboard paint doesn't cover very well, not surprisingly!).




I think the matte black is a cool look, especially for my entry. If I want the mirror gold again though when we move, it would be easy to leaf right over the black. The color contrast would be great actually, so no harm done.

 
Top