photo IMG_0868.jpg

While it is fun in some ways to live in a house where we can stretch out a little more and the kids and the dog can run around more freely, I'm learning a bigger house sort of just means there's more to clean! :) I use a cleaning schedule that really helps, but I was feeling like I needed a central command station.

 photo JennyKomendaCleaningChart.jpg

So over the holidays, I joined forces with seven other bloggers also anxious to get their homes organized in 2014. I decided to have a little fun with the closet under the stairs, formerly known as the Harry Potter closet/closet of no return/most embarrassing place for guests to mistake as a coat closet.

 photo Closet1.jpg

Shield your eyes!!

 photo IMG_0591.jpg

Christmas decor. Amazon boxes. A wadded up air mattress? Random cleaning supplies. Lists. Receipts. Leftover flooring nails. Home Depot bags that may or may not actually have useful things inside. This is my life, people. Help!

 photo Closet2.jpg

The first step was a good clean-out. Then I headed right over to my fabric stash and pulled out what I had left of this pretty Quadrille fabric. I found it at a fabric warehouse a few years ago and had used it for a custom shower curtain (it's an acetate fabric).

 photo IMG_0599.jpg

The colors are so pretty! Orange and turquoise and olive with just a bit of plum.

 photo IMG_0600.jpg

I wanted a bright blue paint color for the walls and went with Sky Watch from The Home Decorators Collection line at Home Depot.

 photo Post1.jpg

I also picked up just a few (!!!) extra things for the project while I was there.

 photo Post2.jpg

I painted the walls in a flat enamel.

 photo Closet3.jpg

Then I added flat trim to the shelf fronts, to make them look thicker. I also added baseboards to the closet. It's amazing how much more finished the room looked after adding baseboards!

 photo Closet4.jpg

Then I painted the shelves the same color as the walls, but in a high gloss.

 photo Closet5.jpg

I left the back wall white though. No need to waste paint there.

 photo xDSC_0115.jpg

Using the same technique I used to upholster a wall in our old loft here, I roughly cut the Quadrille fabric to size and then I stapled and stretched it, and stapled it again on the back wall.

 photo Closet7.jpg

After all the staples were in, I trimmed off the excess fabric.

 photo Closet8.jpg

I tried to be mindful of the pattern the whole time, so that everything would line up in the right way.

 photo Closet9.jpg

 photo xDSC_0146.jpg

Then I covered the staples using cotton twill tape from Joanns and some copper upholstery nails.

 photo Closet12.jpg

 photo xDSC_0388.jpg

To dress up the fronts of the now-thicker shelves, and to help keep things organized, I picked up a package of these metal label holders in the scrapbooking section of my local craft store. I spray painted them gold to get a brass look.

 photo Closet14.jpg

I used black carpet tacks to hang the label-holders on the shelves.

 photo Closet16.jpg

 photo Closet19.jpg

It's really easy to keep everything where it should be with the labels on the shelves.

 photo Closet15.jpg

 photo Closet26.jpg

There used to be some plastic hooks on the wall to the left here, but I took those down in favor of this mop-and-broom-clamp-holder-thing (that's the official name).

 photo Closet23.jpg

I keep our broom and dustpan here and my new Swiffer SteamBoost mop, which I love for our bathroom and kitchen floors especially. I seriously use it every day. We put in winter grass this year, and it's been nothing but mud all over my floors for months. I love Linus like a son, but man, that dog tracks mud in all day long. It's a good thing he's so cute and sweet. :)

 photo Closet24.jpg

I also bought one of these screw-in plastic-dipped hooks from Home Depot and I installed it right into my shelving to help keep my vacuum's hose up off the floor. Works like a charm!

 photo Closet27.jpg

 photo IMG_0906.jpg

It is so fun to have a pretty little space to keep all my cleaning and paper products now.

 photo Closet18.jpg

 photo Kit14.jpg

 photo xDSC_0338.jpg

 photo DSC_0225.jpg

 photo Closet17.jpg

Now when people accidentally open this door to hang up their coats, I'm like, oh that? That's just my cleaning closet. NBD. #boombaby #organized4lyf

 photo DSC_0294.jpg

For more organizing and spring cleaning tips head on over to FinditatHomeDepot.com, where seven fab bloggers are sharing their great cleaning and organizing projects.


 photo BrightIdeas.png

This post was brought to you by The Home Depot and P&G. Start Clean in '14!
 
Top