I can't stop/won't stop with the Craigslist shopping lately. There are so many great finds here and most everything is so incredibly affordable that it's hard to pass a lot of it by. Some things need more work than others though and part of me wonders if it's worth it in those cases.

 photo qqDSC_0550.jpg

Like this secretary I recently picked up from a Craigslist seller. I am so in love with the scalloped, serpentine drawer, but man, does it need some work!

 photo qDSC_0561.jpg


When I came by the seller's house to look at it, I was a little disappointed with the condition of the wood. From the photos, it looked like it was in original condition, but I could see right away in person that it had been painted and then (mostly) stripped and that it needed some love. The wood is pretty dry. The seller gave me really great deal on it though and it was hard to pass by since the shape is so unique.

 photo qDSC_0566.jpg

 photo qDSC_0531.jpg

I think with some cleaning the solid brass flower pulls could be cute. Though maybe on a different piece?

 photo aDSC_0534.jpg

Check out the carved curve of the drawer

 photo qDSC_0573.jpg

 photo qDSC_0570.jpg

I also love the unique leg shape that's so slim from the front and much wider from the side view.

 photo wDSC_0557.jpg

 photo qDSC_0559.jpg

I love tiger oak, but I think this piece would look better painted. If the wood was in better shape, I'd totally fix it up more and keep the wood stain (you know I'm all for wood furniture), but I think this would look better in a painted finish - either a gloss or a chalk paint.

 photo aaaDSC_0548.jpg

I thought I would like it here in the entry, but the curve of the stairs sticks out too much. There's still several feet of clearance, but I think I'll keep my eye out for something with a slimmer profile for here - maybe wall-mounted.

 photo zIMG_8679.jpg

I've actually been thinking it would look really cool in the landing upstairs by the girls rooms, especially if it was painted.

 photo qIMG_8695.jpg

 photo IMG_8699.jpg

I imagine the girls leaving each other fun little notes inside and storing their treasures in the drawers. We've been collecting seashells for a few years now from our different travels (and my parents have been bringing some to the girls too - they went to Ireland and Scotland this month and they brought back some beauties for us) and this little secretary seems like a perfect place to keep the shells.

I know I'll be glad I bought it when I do get around to refinishing the secretary. My threshold lately has been "will I regret not buying this a year from now?" and if I can honestly say yes, I go for it (and then cram it into the garage! ha!). What is your rule?
 
Top