We need roman shades for a few rooms in our house. I'm thinking about tackling the real-deal sewing project for the shades I want to put in our living room. But the others will hang in bedrooms, and I think I'd like to do something a little faster there. I still use and love my shades from mini-blinds project, but when I need something really sturdy, that can be used and abused, and I'm in a time pinch, I just glue fabric to store-bought fabric or bamboo shades.


I glued this heavy linen (Schumacher's Zimba) to bamboo shades from Home Depot for Abbey's kitchen redo. I used spray glue to adhere the front and Fabritac to glue the wrapped around edges. I also glued a piece of black-out liner on the back for a cleaner look from the outside. If you're going to use bamboo shades as the base, make sure your fabric is thick or else you will see the texture of the bamboo peek through a little bit. Using a fabric shade as a base is an easy project too (as seen here).


PS How cute are the framed pictures in Abbey's kitchen? She picked up a ton of the $1 frames at IKEA and framed her toddler son's art. Such a big visual impact for not a lot of money. Reminds me of this Steven Gambrel room.

Bottom photo by Seth Smoot, styling by Kendra Smoot for this Cup of Jo house tour.
 
Top